Well, I said it would be a trilogy, but after another browse, I came accross another plan that I had built in my youth, namely the 'Komet'. The history of this creation is as interesting as the actual airframe itself, and well deserving of a quick read: 'Komet'
Anyhow, to cut a long story short, I did build this little beauty back in the 70's, but can't recall if it flew or not. I think, given today's ducted fan technology, this might be an ideal candidate for such a power plant?
Here's my progress so far, it's a tad more complex than my previous efforts, but as the complexity grows, so does the requisite satisfaction!
Here's the plan from the Outerzone:
This is a backburner, so more when I get time!
Edit: The complexity of the components truly lends itself to the laser cutting process, as the original plan specified balsa stiffened card formers, that were not too nice to work with.
All 8 formers complete! I just have to check them out, probably with a trial cut in scrap card, just to see if it all lines up.
Oh, and I've decided to cut them from 1/16th ply instead of balsa, why not eh? :-) I've had an idea to make a crude jig out of a couple of pieces of threaded bar, which would pass through the 1/16th holes in the formers. The formers themselves could then be spaced accordingly with nuts, which would be dremeled out after completion.
The ribs were fiddly, but I've worked out a way to keep the profiles proportionally the same just be resizing them over the wing layout, an simply remarking the spar positions. This is fairly quick, and I finish off by altering the hight of the ribs accordingly to scale.
Here are some jpegs of the 'finished' cutting sheets:
I'm just going to check a few things over, then it's done! It's been a bit of a challenge, (as it is just a hobby for me of course), but I do enjoy working stuff out, finessing it etc. I'm looking forward to cutting the components out of the wood, which I may do later this week (certainly the ply formers at any rate) just to see if they will fit together nicely.
Well, it's a good job I did that 'checking', as there were one or two anomalies! Firstly, the wing spars had been positioned incorrectly at the root. Secondly, the two wing tongues were out of proportion to the plan, so I amended them both, then re-jigged the ribs to align with the new spar positions.
Here's a jpeg of the amended wing components:
And the 1.6mm balsa cutting sheet layout:
Hopefully that will be more or less that, and I can look forward to a little cutting action tomorrow!
Disclaimer: Members/guests download attachments/photo's/files at their own risk. Please scan files before opening. stay safe online! The forum accepts no responsibility for Views & opinions expressed by forum members.
We reserve the right to remove any posts deemed offensive or unsuitable for this forum.
Disclosure: some links on this site generate revenue by you clicking on them. The advertisers they link to are beyond our control and are not affiliated with 'thescratchbuildersguidetothegalaxy.club' forum