So it was at work after all, phew! I had visions of it being left on my car roof, like a mobile phone I once lost, flung off at the first corner, but no, all safe and sound. So I took a few pics, not too much to look at really, just lots of alloy. The fan turns in jolts, almost like the 'compression' of an old diesel thumper!
I tried it insitu in my F4, and it looks like it'll fit a treat. I won't even need to trim any longerons/spars as such, just add some doublers to the main fuselage spars between f5 &6, so I can drill 3mm holes to bolt the unit in. I'll need to build in a few degrees of 'up thrust' as per plan, so that the nose is pushed down, (opposite of course to a traditional propeller 'puller' up front).
God managed without machinery, but most of us need a little help
more progress, I simply added a couple of bearers to secure the fan unit to, I’ll decide on the final position when I know were the rest of the gear will go, balance wise. I can also add a little up thrust by using washers on the mounting bolts...
A first fitting. Actually, it will mount under the bearers, to get the correct alignment...
So, baby steps, but actually, fitting any power-plant in a model is probably one of the most important tasks, get it wrong, and you’ll certainly notice! It’a also difficult to remedy once it gets more built in.
I know Ian has sourced a ducted fan unit for his F4, which kind of spurred me on to some more progress. So i decided to start the process of skinning the fuselage with the 13mm wide (an arbitrary figure) home stripped 1/8th 3.2mm balsa. It's a rewarding process, if a little slow, whilst I waited for each strip or pair of strips to cure with PVA.
Obviously the first 3 strips were fairly straight forward as the curves expected of them were gentle. I let them cure, then realised I had forgotten to insert the 3mm ply sub former I'd made to give the bottom of the fuselage its characteristic bulge! After consideration, I decided to ease the strips away from their carefully glued positions, always a thankless task. I used my trusty scalpel, and ten minutes careful slicing freed them all up.
Once freed up, I poured near boiling water over the area to be moulded around to help it bend and clamped it insitu. Some hours later I inspected the work and discovered that the original glue had re solidified to form a reasonable bond, but I painted on some more PVA to reinforce things.
It's a good solid start, and I'm happy with the curve it has formed. Later on I will build in some filler and sand it all to its finished profiles.
I carried on building up the planks until I approached the cockpit/canopy area, then I paused for much reflection on the best way to accomplish the task of having a removable section for what will essentially be access to the location of the 6 cell lipo.
If you think about these things long enough, and take it slowly, they kind of work themselves out!
I insulated the removable cockpit section with clingfilm to aid separation..
I then focused on building the top half, formers and some 1/8" balsa thickeners, adjusting things as I went, keeping an eye on the finished profile, so the sheeting will follow the correct curves when the glue sets tomorrow!
Tomorrow I'll separate the canopy assembly and finish the nose area planking. Onward and upward as always.
Disclaimer: Members/guests download attachments/photo's/files at their own risk. Please scan files before opening. stay safe online! The forum accepts no responsibility for Views & opinions expressed by forum members.
We reserve the right to remove any posts deemed offensive or unsuitable for this forum.
Disclosure: some links on this site generate revenue by you clicking on them. The advertisers they link to are beyond our control and are not affiliated with 'thescratchbuildersguidetothegalaxy.club' forum